2013 Summer Internship Program
The Playhouse Theatre Group, Inc. Internship Program is a great way for young theatre professionals to learn and grow both professionally and personally. The program allows students and graduates, to have a hands-on experience.
SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS: AT A GLANCE
• Internships are available for performance, administrative, and production departments.
• Interns generally work full time, six days a week for a 10 week period.
• Stipend for summer interns: $100 per week.
• Start and end date is flexible: exact dates determined by the intern's school schedule and other previous commitments. Performance interns must begin on or before May 21, 2013.
• Each intern is assigned a staff member as a mentor. That mentor is ultimately responsible for overseeing the intern's work, giving suggestions and guidance, and being available to answer questions. Each mentor will have a scheduled meeting with their intern at the midpoint and the end of their internship to review what is going well and where the intern needs to concentrate on improvement.
• Internships are available in the following categories: Performance, Business Office, Marketing, Development, Literary, Education, Stage Management, Costumes, Production [See full list of Internship Descriptions]
- - A completed Application Form
- - A Resume or Curriculum Vitae documenting your administrative and artistic experiences
- - Two letters of Recommendation
- - Personal Statement
- - Work Samples (Costume Shop, Sound, Stage Management and Properties positions) Work samples will not be returned to the applicant. Photocopies/digital images/DVDs are encouraged.
The deadline for applications is March 1, 2013. Some candidates will then be asked to interview. [application form]
Playhouse Theatre Group, Inc. is committed to a policy of non-discrimination. Playhouse Theatre Group, Inc. does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, gender, sexual harassment, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status, unfavorable discharge from the military, handicap, or disability in its hiring practices, programs and activities.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does Playhouse Theatre Group offer stipends for internships?
During the summer we have interns that will receive a stipend of $100 / week. For the fall and spring we will discuss the possibility of a small stipend with the applicant on an individual basis.
Does Playhouse Theatre Group offer internships in exchange for college credit?
Yes. Internship programs are available in exchange for school credit. Each program in unique based upon the relationship between the school and Playhouse Theatre Group Inc. Please check to see if we are on your school’s approved list of Internships. These internships are unpaid.
Are Playhouse internships available throughout the year?
We encourage interns to apply for positions throughout the regular season. We offer stipends during the summer. For the fall and spring we will discuss the possibility of a small stipend on an individual basis.
How can a college or university become involved in Playhouse Theatre Group’s Internship Program?
If you are a school interested in working with Playhouse Theatre Group, Inc, please contact Dawn Loveland, Director of Education at email@example.com or 860-523-5900 ext 15.
Will I be able hold a job during the program?
If hired, summer interns would be required 6 days a week. In the fall and spring timing is more flexible. Many fall and spring interns have been able to find additional work that doesn't conflict with their internship requirements and schedule.
Do Playhouse internships provide housing?
Currently, No - Rental properties are prolific and vary in price. Single apartments can range upwards of $550/mo. Living with roommates can be a much cheaper alternative. For roommate and apartment listings, Craig's List is a great resource.
Are high school students or adults exploring new career paths eligible to apply for an internship?
All participants must be 18 years of age. High school students should consider volunteering. Adults exploring new career paths in arts administration and production are more than welcome to apply.
Do Interns ever return to Playhouse On Park?
We currently have interns from past summers working as designers, performers, and in stage management. Interns often return when there is an opportunity available that fits their talents.
Dawn Loveland, Education Director
860-523-5900 Ext. 15
- Email: Dawn Loveland
Playhouse on Park
244 Park Road
West Hartford, CT 06119